[Gocamino] pilgrimage in Latin America?

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Wed Jan 17 20:07:18 PST 2007

I can name a couple of walking pilgrimages in Mexico that are
popular.  One is to the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico
City.  The other is to San Juan de Los Lagos, in Jalisco state.  I
remember seeing a group in San Miguel de Allende that was walking to
San Juan de Los Lagos, unfortunately I was unable to stop to talk to
them.  I understand that these are organized church groups with
support vans for luggage.  They stay in churches, I believe.  The
pilgrimage to San Juan de Los Lagos sounds especially appealing to
me, perhaps because I have seen the pilgrims, and because I had not
known much about the site before I saw the pilgrims.

http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/mexico/san_juan_de_los_lagos.html

http://www.irapuato.gob.mx/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1033

http://www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx/espanol/cultura_y_sociedad/religion/detalle.cfm?idcat=3&idsec=19&idsub=0&idpag=1056

http://www.sanluisdelapaz.com/cmsespanol/noticias/p2000_articleid/676

Similarly, especially during Holy Week, people walk to Chimayo, New
Mexico, a Hispanic tradition still active in the USA.  Again, we are
talking church groups.

I am not aware of any Latin American pilgrimages with hostels or
albergues.  But then, the flow of pilgrims to some of these sites is
such that there must be places to stay.

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com