[Gocamino] "Compostela" testimonials

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 07:02:52 PST 2007

Hello you all,
The January edition of the "Compostela" (The Archconfraternity magazine) carries several testimonials left at the pilgrims' office by some pilgrims.  Here are some of them (translated):

" I went to the Camino with two friends after having thought about it for some years. We arrived in Leon and slept in a convent for two nights and visited the Cathedral and S. Isidoro. We went to the Pilgrims' Masses everywhere, including the convent. What a marvelous experience!  Because we are not young we went by train to Sarria and began walking there. It took us five days, with aching feet and bones and many blisters, but each day was easier than the one before. Finally, we arrived at Compostela. There are no words to describe the joy we felt when we entered the Cathedral to hug the Apostle. Nothing else mattered. We achieved our purpose. All the efforts had been worth it and we plan to go back to the Camino, perhaps next year.  I encourage the whole world to do challenge itself at least once in a lifetime and walk the Camino. The beauty of the landscape, the marvelous people that one meets through the route and the spiritual life-growth compensate everything"     J.D. !
 (United States of America)

"After an ardous and intense effort in the pilgrimage, we are thankful to have married in Santiago, accompanied by our friends and families"  G & U (Berlin, Germany)

"I thank the Apostle Santiago, the Archangel Michael and the Virgin Mary who have protected me throughout the Camno all the way from Vienna. I left behind the the routine thoughts and the every-dayness of my life to find myself. I thank all who have had me in their thoughts praying for my well being. I thank all who have crossed my life, those who have given me their smiles and acknowledgements, food and information. I've arrived at my goal and you have all arrived with me. I could not have done it otherwise. Many thanks!"  (Female pilgrim from Vienna, Austria)

"For you, mother. Since I was a little girl you prayed and went to Mass every Sunday pleading that I survive a delicate operation. You knew how to keep going despite the vicissitudes of life, age, and the illness and mischief of your adolescent daughter. Truly, I did not value your efforts until your death. I thank God for having listened to you, and for being allowed to walk the Camino in your honor"  (J.)

"We left Italy from Nembro, our hometown, on April 2nd. We went through Le Puy in Velay, Lourdes and Somport. We have traversed 2,367 kms. There were some pretty hard days, but the joy of arriving in  Santiago is great. We were not alone: the hand of God was always with us, through the intercession of Santiago. For us it has been a time of Grace."    (S & G Italy, June 26)

"I've studied Spanish for three years and wanted to visit Spain. My dream became true when our teachers organized a cultural trip to Spain, from india, and we could go to the Camino de Santiago, unique in the world. Here is a "collage" of our experience. We were overwhelmed by the ceremony in the Aula Magna of the University of Navarra when we received the Universitary Pilgrim's credential. While we did not walk the entire Camino, we went through different regions like Navarra, Rioja, Burgos, Leon, Asturias and Galicia. The weather was very nice and the beautiful, green landscapes animated the way. In the Camino, the albergues are the representation of the world, the pilgrims from different countries, speaking different languages and sharing their feelings raternally.  We visited many Cathedrals of diverse styles, but the most impressive by far, for me, was the one in Leon with its windows of color that let in celestial lights. Finally, the arrival in Santiago and its great !
 Cathedral represented the apex of our trip, as well as the warm meeting with the Archbishop.
I myself walked the greater part of the Camino alone, and realized that basically, and finally, a human being carries within the God sought outside."  (A.G. female pilgrim from India).

There are many more, which I can post here if you wish.

Hugs!

Rosina