[Gocamino] New to the list

Richard Ferguson richard at fergusonsculpture.com
Sat Feb 10 08:56:27 PST 2007

I never felt discriminated against being from the
USA.  Occasionally people wanted to talk
politics, but they were polite.  I speak pretty
good Spanish, and I have lots of experience
traveling outside the USA, so I had those
advantages.

I would say that if you avoid carrying a chip on
your shoulder, don't have too many expectations,
and are polite, you will not have special
problems as a US citizen.  The real problem, if
you have one, is in your own mind.  If you carry
the idea that everything that is different than
the USA is wrong, that is the ultimate  ugly
American attitude, and then you might have some
problems.

It is obvious to me that Machi has a serious
anti-American attitude, so he sees the world
through an anti-American filter.  Most likely, he
projects his own anti-American world view and
attitude onto others, who may or may not share
it.  Some people, especially leftists, seem to
think that America is inferior to other
countries, is a danger to the planet, etc, and
have deeply anti-American views.  Some Americans
also share those views.  But even people who
oppose the US government don't necessarily assume
that all Americans are bad folks.   Anyway, don't
let him scare you into pretending to be Canadian.
;-)  I am sure others will tell you that being an
American on the camino is not a problem.

If you have not traveled abroad, it is an
adjustment.  It would be an adjustment if you
were from Canada or any other country.  Be
flexible.  Expect that things will be different.
Ask questions.  Do what the locals do.  Be polite.

You should consider some kind of crash Spanish
course, at least enough to ask directions and say
hello.  I read that Spain has the lowest
percentage of people who speak foreign languages
in Europe, so don't expect everyone to speak
English.  I even ran into a few Spaniards who
answered my questions in regional languages, such
as Gallego, not Spanish!  My assumption was that
they were not comfortable speaking Spanish, using
Gallego for their daily life.  Sometimes I could
even figure out what they said.  ;-)

Richard

--
http://www.fergusonsculpture.com