[Gocamino] new to the list

Renato Alvarado Vidal machi at telsur.cl
Fri Feb 9 19:58:13 PST 2007

Dear Lori, I think I can approach your situation at least under three
different lights; You starting the Camino as : a)Pilgrim, b)woman, c)
USAlander.
	a) As a first time pilgrim: In my opinion, the best choice is to go
alone. This is the best choice for making lots of friends and for
walking along the innermost paths of your soul. My advice: keep your
autonomy, go at your own pace.  Going alone it's not only easy to
make friends, but it's also easy to stick to them, including walking
at their pace and following their decisions. Imagine you in
Roncesvalles, you make some friends from England or Germany and they
decide to take the option of better start from Saint Jean Pied de
Port, in France; you can think "well, it's only one extra stage"; but
it's the hardest climb of the whole camino and you'll be jet-lagged
while the europeans don't. Another situation: The germans, for some
reason, like to rise VERY early in the morning and they start like
they were in a race; at the begining I thought "they know better,
perhaps I should do the same..." but later I found them waiting in
line outside the next albergue, waiting for it to open! It was just
nonsense. And so on.
	b) As a woman: Well. I'm not a woman, so I don't have the first hand
experience, but I met lots of female pilgrims and none of them made
any reference to have met some special sex-related problem along the
camino. Going from Madrid to the point where you have chosen to
start, all you need is the usual care that any tourist must have
regarding your passport and your money, after all, you'll be carrying
very scarce luggage :-) Don't let your backpack weigh more than 8
kilos (18 Lbs.)
	c) As USAlander that have never traveled abroad: My dear Lori, I
think this is the most tricky dimension of your situation. Why?
Because USAlanders that have never looked outside their borders have
a very peculiar idea about the world, and specially about the US
Goverment and corporation's deeds. USAlanders tend to believe that
the rest of the world is a somewhat imperfect extension of US way of
life, and that your country can only be seen as a lighthouse of
democracy and freedom, as the model everybody would conform with, and
this is not the case. Many USAlanders have the bitter experience to
learn that his people is seen as uncultivated and ignorant, and his
goverment's foreign politics as a menace to world's peace. All the
nationality-related negative attitude I witnessed along the camino,
were against USAlanders; at Cebreiro I even had to intercede in
favour of a group from Michigan that had been rejected from the
albergue, and then I had to make a colect of matresses for them,
because they were not given beds!
	Perhaps it would be wise to say you are canadian.

	As a side note: This is another situation I didn't experienced first
hand, because I did the Camino barefooted, but I learned something
about the shoe-related problems. I'm MD, so I had to help many fellow
pilgrims with bad cases of foot blisters; it's very important that
your shoes are well worn in advance, you'll get blisters and need
band-aids anyway, but using new shoes is plain invitation to
disaster. My advice: Do your training walks with your full backpack
and wearing the shoes you'll use; if you don't like barefooting, take
some light shoes to change when you arrive to albergues, and don't
forget a little lamplight, it's very useful for moving by night into
a dark albergue looking for the toilets.
	I wish you buen camino!
	From the green shores of Patagonia

	Machi