[Gocamino] Camino conference at the parador; Vienna candleholders

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Thu Dec 13 08:53:00 PST 2007

Hello you all,

Santiago’s Archbishop, Msgr. Barrio, has issued an invitation to a conference concerning the Camino that will be held at the Parador’s auditorium in Santiago on December 19th, at 7:30 p.m.

In a related way, perhaps, the administrators of the Parador have announced their intent to double the number of free breakfasts and dinners that the hotel will offer to Compostela-awarded pilgrims.

To receive a pass for such breakfasts, or dinners, a pilgrim needs to show his/her Compostela, and some form of ID, at the Parador’s garage early in the morning the day after receiving the Compostela.  Further occasions for the Parador’s recognition of pilgrims are being sought by the Cathedral.  The hotel, after all, was created by the Catholic Queen Isabel, and her husband, King Ferdinand, for the benefit of Camino pilgrims.

Now,….. the Guadalupe Vienna candleholders at the Gothic Church cost no more than 50 centimes, if anything. They are small and would hold what we call a “tea light”, so there’s no need to worry about their cost, or postage.  Just send me your address.

You see,  I do know how very fortunate I am to be able to do these small things, and they make me happy.

Throughout my life I have been asked, quite often, how can someone so “educated”, and so “intelligent” (their words, not mine) as myself  be such an earnest Catholic.  Well, my mental answer has always been the same:  “If you have to ask you wouldn’t understand”, but vocally I refer the questioner to Victor Hugo’s famous answer to the same question, or I will say things like:  It is lovely that we Catholics can always, almost anywhere, find a church open, and go in, and bring flowers, and light candles, and pray, or just sit and do nothing.; we have so very many forms and opportunities for spontaneous  forms of personal intimate expression that almost always the cup of the soul runneth over and, therefore, it need not break.

I do not know exactly the articulated explanation for lighting candles, but in Vienna they have a little writing about it, in German, of course, which comes with the candle holders. I’ll find someone to translate it and will also send it on as well.

Hugs!

Rosina