[Gocamino] exvotos

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 04:05:24 PST 2007

I love exvotos, and have a really wonderful Mexican tin one from a shrine that was closed down. It´s a lucha libre wrestler in full costume, with a little Virgin floating overhead. He gives thanks for beating El Lobo!

Ex votos go back to the Roman era. If you visit the ancient baños in the mountains along the Via de la Plata, you occasionally see one or two Roman ex votos, testifying to the healing powers of the spirits of that particular spring.

And in Vendome, France, I saw a particularly moving set of ex votos, marble plaques that covered the walls of a chapel in the cathedral. They give thanks for survivals and rescues and mercies given all throughout world wars 1 and 2, which really swept hard over that area. Lovely.

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His mercy endures forever.

Rebekah Scott
www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com