[Gocamino] [saintjames] Re: Fwd:? A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 08:30:37 PST 2007

While Don Quijote was a fictional character, of course, ?Cervantes,?replicated the?modes ?of his times in his writings;?the use of the shell as a travel convenience? is frequently? mentioned in? historical writings;??anyone visiting the monasteries and convents in the Camino? will find many references to such uses in their libraries. In?recounting?ancient pilgrimages by the monks or nuns who guide visitors to their monasteries or convents?the erstwhile utilitarian uses of the shell will surely be mentioned.???

Huh? Don Quixote was a fictional character! Walter Starkie was not! He
was Professor of Spanish at Trinity College in Dublin. As a translater of
Spanish literature, he published his own unabridged translation of
Cervantes<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervantes>'s
*Don Quixote <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote>* in
1957<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957> in
hardcover <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcover>for Macmillan
Publishers<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macmillan_Publishers>,
and seven years later, published an abridged version in
paperback<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback>for New
American Library <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_American_Library>.
(Wiki).
His book, Road to Santiago is a classic and one of the few that recounts
pilgrimage to Santiago in the early 1950's. If Walter Starkie says he
collected a scallop shell, then he collected a scallop shell! Too late to
verify his information - he passed away in 1976.
Sil

--
Sil

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

This Group is based in the site: http://www.caminhodesantiago.com - Caminho de Santiago de Compostela - O Portal Peregrino. All of information the pilgrims need.

RECENT ACTIVITY

1

New Members