[Gocamino] Fwd:? A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 05:20:32 PST 2007

The Pilgrims Office in Santiago has never, ever, given any shells to pilgrims. And, where is the "Confraternity of St James office in Santiago"?.? Do you mean the French Confraternity?? They do have an office there.

The shells were used by ancient pilgrims, of all ilks (as anyone who has read Don Quijote will know), as a travel tool useful to scoop water from rivers, or as a vessel-spoon to drink water, wine or soup, or even to scrape their bodies when taking a bath. The shell became associated with the Camino when the lore grew that the decapitated ?body of Saint James had been brought to Galicia, on a boat made of stone, and that a young man riding to?his wedding who had irresistibly jumped?into the water to meet the boat? emerged completely covered in seashells.

(I am sending an etching of such happening to the techno-wizardsw here to post for those who may want to see it.

Hugs!

Rosina

ps.com
Sent: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 2:04 am
Subject: Re: [Gocamino] Fwd:? A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

In the middleages - and even as recently as the 1950's - the pilgrim office
gave scallop shells which the pilgrims wore as proof of their arrival at
Santiago.  In his classic book, The Road to Santiago, Walter Starkie says
that he went to the Confraternity of St James office in Santiago and
collected his scallop shell (no mention of the Compostela).
Around the late 1700's, when paper became more readily available in Spain,
the cathedral authorities would issue
'la* autentica*'.
A CSJ article on the Compostela says:
"Confession and communion remained essential to the granting of the
certificate of having completed the pilgrimage. Originally hand-written and
sealed, with slips of paper attesting confession and communion pasted on, it
became in the C17th (printing reached Galicia very late) a printed document
which included the confirmation of confession and ommunion." You can read
more here:
 (http://www.csj.org.uk/compostela.htm)
Perhaps the author has read Starkie's book?  Even so, I think he should have
done some more up-to-date research before publishing a book with incorrect
and misleading advice.

--
Sil