[Gocamino] Fwd:? A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

Jim Greer jbgreer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:47:13 PST 2007

----------8K----SNIP
----8K----SNIP----8K----SNIP----8K----SNIP----8K----SNIP----8K----SNIP

> I am certain about how she spoke about "the scallop shell" because I was
> surprised to find that the it was just about like an ordinary souvenir.   I was
> thinking that the shell was some sort of old version of proof that one completed
> the camino, but have no data to verify or prove otherwise

Like many others apparently, I noted the mention about the book
claiming a scallop shell was received at the end of the journey.
Without having read the source of note, though (and thus without a leg
to stand upon, but that's never stopped me before), I offer this
suggestion:

Perhaps the author was mentioning a practice from the distant past.
If memory serves me, I recall that once upon a time pilgrims did not
wear scallop shells on the way to Santiago but instead picked one up
upon their arrival.  Thus decorated they could walk home and be
assured of good lodging and meals, for clearly a pilgrim that had
walked to Santiago and was on their way back was worthy of some
respect or at least charity.

Even if my memory is faulty, I do think that modern travel has changed
the nature of pilgrim integration back into society.  I imagine some
ancient pilgrim walking to Santiago feeling ecstatic, and then,
perhaps after a week's rest, deciding it was time to walk home.  In my
near daily struggle to understand pilgrimage and what it means to be a
pilgrim, I ask myself questions like: are they still a pilgrim?   Is a
slow return "better" than a "quick" one, that is, a delayed return
"home" may allow for great contemplation, but perhaps a short delay
allows us to discuss our recent journey with the energy of the moment
still pumping in our hearts.

Perhaps there are specific answers to these sort of questions, but I
don't know them.  Perhaps these are silly questions that are too
personal to be of much relevance.  I do think that walking the Camino
is an intensely personal experience, but here I am, talking to a
community about just that, so there must be many universal things
about it.

Bon camino,
Jim Greer