[Gocamino] Fwd: A Traveler's Highway to Heaven

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:49:15 PST 2007

Grant, I honesttly feel that William Bonville needs to find a copy editor
who knows the ins and outs of the camino.  Some of his information is
misleading to say the least.

1) People in rental cars who sleep over at Burgette can drive to
Roncesvalles in the morning in order to get their pilgrim passport and
attend the pilgrims mass for a blessing.
If so, you may wish to put up overnight in Burguete, just below
Roncesvalles, convenient so that you may attend the pilgrims' early morning
Mass at the Royal Collegiate Church and obtain both your passport and the
priest's blessing as you embark upon your journey.

2) They can walk the 1km (?) to the Ibaneta Pass to get a feeling for the
walking pilgrimage.
3) They must get stamps in their passport at all the monuments and shrines
visited along the way and keep a log of all mileage walked while sightseeing
in and out of towns as this record will satisfy the 'churchmen' in Santiago
that they have walked 100km.
5) They can present this record of their mileage walked and the passport in
order to earn the "cockle shell badge and the Compostellana."

 As for the hundred kilometers afoot, the walks we describe following the
Way through the towns, villages and cities along the Camino qualify for much
of it. Keep notes on the kilometers you walk and where, add selected walks
such as from the pass down to Roncesvalles where you begin the pilgrimage in
the Pyrenees, or from the Mount of Joy to the cathedral of Santiago at the
end. Those notes, plus your stamped pilgrim's "passport," will be proof
enough for the churchmen.

Finally, at Santiago de Compostela, with the last stamp in place, the
Cathedral Secretariat awards the badge of the cockle shell (most call it a
scallop shell) and the certificate- the Compostellana -that announce to one
and all the pilgrim's achievement of special favor in the eyes of St. James.

4)  Has he not heard of the CSJ or the American Pilgrims? And, has anyone
ever heard of the guide books he recommends? (No Brierley or Alison Raju or
CSJ guides?)

For pilgrims, best current practical information may be obtained by
contacting the Asociacion de Amigos de los Caminos, Calle Carretas 14, 28012
Madrid, Spain.

Should you desire to walk or go by horseback or trail bike along the ancient
pilgrimage trail, there is but a single source that provides anything like
reliable instructions. It is *The Pilgrim Route to Compostela, *written
originally by Abbé Georgés Bernés for the Editiones Randonnés Pyrénéennes.

This all makes me think that if his research on practical pilgrimage is
lacking, what is the rest of the book like?

hotmail.com>