[Gocamino] preparations for June

Glenn Guha2005 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 14 20:39:37 PDT 2007

Lori,
I used to go on annual solitary retreats to a nice area in North Carolina.
These retreats lasted from 2 to 4 weeks, and I would journal, walk a lot in
beautiful natural settings, and read a lot.  My wife, who works in a small
bookstore, always sent a box of books she thought were interesting with me.
In 2003 one of those books was Coehlo's  book about the Pilgrimage.  I had
never heard of it, but it was fascinating.  Within the next few weeks, I saw
several mentions of the Camino.  Finally, when I returned home, I picked up
a Sunday New York Times, something I never did, and went through it that
afternoon.  What did I find?  I found a 2 page article on the Camino!  This
seemed to me to be such a clear message that I should do it, that I was
obsessed by it for the two years it took me to actually go.  I previously
had never even wanted to visit Spain, and knew no Spanish.  My first Camino
in 2005 far exceeded my expectations.  Since that time I have dreamt about
Spain regularly, and I now have a passion for learning Spanish.  Why this
is, I do not know, and I cannot adequately describe the intensity of my
feelings toward the Camino.  This May I will return.  It is a magical place,
and you will meet incredible people along the way.

On the practical side...wow you really think you can get your pack weight to
10 pounds?  Great if you can, the less the better.  I was way way too heavy
two years ago and had to mail about 10 pounds to myself  from Pamplona to
Santiago.  I tried to prepare for every possible contingency, and soon found
out how foolish that was.    I only took a liter bottle and it was adequate.
People I heard of that had the camel packs had some difficulty with them.  I
just kept my journal in a freezer bag to protect it from rain.  I had a
digital recorder, but didn't really use it or need it.  My digital camera
was an asset though. I would recommend having your boots a bit larger than
normal as your feet tend to swell a bit walking all day.

Good Luck,
Glenn