[Gocamino] Seeking wisdom...

Renato Alvarado Vidal machi at telsur.cl
Sat Apr 7 14:55:58 PDT 2007

> We brand new members of your group and are planning to walk part of
> the Camino this year.  We would love to hear advice and thoughts
> from folks about the following things::
>
> What is the best section to walk for 4 weeks, and why?

	Dear friends, the best section to walk for 4 weeks is the French
Way, el Camino Frances; and the reason is that in four weeks you can
walk it entirely.

> What is the best time of the year to go (we can only do 4 weeks)
> and why?

	Nearer winter the weather is colder and humid, but there are less
fellow pilgrims competing for albergues; closer to summer it's the
opposite. Springtime and fall are good options; I prefer spring
because the fields are green, while in autumn they look barren, and
be sure that high tableland of Castilla can look VERY barren. From
end of april to begining of june is a good choise for me.
	Another criterion could be to choose some particular event or
religious feast taking place somewhere along the camino, and
scheduling your calendar around that date. Perhaps you can want to
run with the bulls at Pamplona :-)

> What do you think of the options for sleeping from hostel type
> accomodations to budget places -- what are they, what would we need
> to have with us, how to choose?

	Albergues are more fun, because you meet fellow pilgrims; certainly
there is snorting and smelling, but you can be sure that we all snort
and smell (and think and feel) just the same.

> What do we most need to have with us if we are trying to
> dramatically minimize the size of our load (we would not be camping
> and we will not be cooking any meals).

	Trousers, one long, one short, underpants, something to shelter you
from cold, something to shelter you from rain (a poncho can shelter
your backpack too) two shirts so sintetic that you can wash them and
they dry instantly, a hat, a walking stick (called "bordon", you can
get it at Roncesvalles), something to carry water, a sleeping bag, a
lightweight photo camera, a little lamplight to move by night into
the albergue (earplugs optional). About footgear I have no experience.

> Any other thoughts/advice you think novices on the Camino (but not
> novice walkers) could use -- clothes, money, reservations or not,
> routes, and especially must sees and must dos, must not dos, et al
> would be much appreciated.

	I should use credit cards to get euros along the way, and it's good
to know some spanish. I should not let my backpack to get over 8
kilos (17 1/2 pounds). I should go by train from Madrid to Pamplona,
by bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles, and once in Santiago, by train
back to Madrid.

	Dear Rita and Wes, I wish you happy yellow arrows.

	From the green shores of Patagonia

	Machi