[Gocamino] Americans on the Camino

ehamer@earthlink.net ehamer at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 27 13:59:48 PDT 2006

I just got back from a month on the Camino Frances, seeing very few American pilgrims.  But there is now definitely an American presence on the Camino, at Moratinos, a tiny village (ca 70 pop.) about 9 kilometers east of Sagahun on the meseta.
Rebekah Scott and Paddy O'Hara have purchased a finca, a walled complex of buildings around a central courtyard,  and although they just moved in a few days ago, are already dispensing tea and sympathy to beleagured peregrinos.  There will also be a new albergue in town: James and Marian have the new roof and floor in and were finishing shutters when I was there.  They have a great deal left to do; maybe it'll be up and running next year.     What can I say?  I was at a low point on my Camino, very seriously tired, lonely and planning to get to Leon and fly home, when I walked into town.  But after a couple of days of tea, sympathy, wine, English, support and advice, I was re-energised and ready to go on.  Moratinos may look like a little Spanish pueblo, but for me it will always be an oasis. Check it out.

One other Very Good Thing: a small hotel named Costa Vella in Santiago.  If you can't afford or can't get into the Parador, or just prefer more intimate places, check this one out.  In the old city 5 mins. from the cathedral, small, friendly, rooms with glassed in balconies overlooking the old city, a bar that served hot grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, a small library also on one of those balconies, a walled garden, --it's paradise, perfect for a base to celebrate the end of your Camino.

Buen Camino, you-all.

ehamer at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.