[Gocamino] Dogs on the camino

Kinsey Oleman casharus at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 18:25:11 PST 2006

I have actually previously considered the problem of
enocuntering other dogs on the camino and of not being
able to sleep at hostels. (I was really surprised that
everyone thought I would actually leave my support dog
tied up outside!)
I was thinking rather of travelling with  a small
tent. Everything previously had pointed me to not
taking SugarRay, but I was idealistically motivated by
the fact that people _have_ completed the camino with
canine companions. I was wanting more for exacting
details of _how_ they managed it.

Lecture fully recieved, thank you.

kinsey

--- Callie Householder <callie.householder at mac.com>
wrote:

> I would advise against it as well. We travelled with
> a dog from Astorga to Santiago, she did great on the
> walk but we found it difficult to find places that
> would take the dog and she often had to sleep
> outside in the elements. She also tended to bark
> alot and kept the other fellow periginos awake most
> of the night. We were highly frowned upon even
> though it wasn't our dog. (we were only helping a
> fellow traveller who took on more than she could
> handle by having the dog along)
> There is one fellow, Sebastian, that travels with
> his two dogs in a cart, he is quite notorious along
> the camino, but I believe he is more nomadic and
> doesn't often stay in the auberques.
>
> Buen Camino,
> Callie
>
> On Wednesday, November 29, 2006, at 10:25AM, "Grant
> Spangler" <gaspangler at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Kinsey,
> >
> >I would strongly recommend your canine companion
> waits for you at home. The
> >very few that take horses or donkeys have support
> mechanisms in place for
> >the animals. Not the case for doggies. The vast
> majority of albergues will
> >deny you entry if you have a dog with you. It would
> be unfair and dangerous
> >for the dog to be simply tied up outside. Higher
> elevations have a greater
> >wolf problem, as evidenced by the ubiquitous
> Mastiff. The Mastiff are 80 KG
> >canines whose sole purpose is the protection of
> sheep. They can disassemble
> >a wolf without blinking an eye. Not that this
> human-friendly dog would cause
> >your pup any concern, it?s rather the LACK of a
> Mastiff in the immediate
> >neighborhood. Wolves consume anything smaller and
> slower than they are,
> >which includes sheep, cats and dogs. You dog tied
> up anywhere but a large
> >city is prone to be dinner for Canis lupus
> signatus. Canines are also quite
> >territorial, and the Spanish dogs you pass on the
> Way will certainly take
> >note of your dog. Some will sniff, some will bark,
> some may bite. Please
> >note: not all dogs on the Camino are chained up.
> Rural dogs are less pets
> >that protectors, and are left unchained for a
> reason.
> >
> >Now the next thought. Pilgrims are going from one
> place to another. Without
> >and within. You need to be with and interact with
> the other Pilgrims you
> >meet along the Way. The bonding that happens is
> unique, and you don?t want
> >to miss this, it?s an important part of the
> process. Step out of your known
> >world with all it?s comforts and amenities, and
> step into your new world. Be
> >light on your feet and light in your spirit. Take
> as little as possible with you. God provides. Just
watch.