[Gocamino] Children on the Camino

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 09:26:42 PST 2006

As a hospitalera I've hosted a couple of families who
were traveling en famille.
One was a Dutch lady with a 5-year-old and a toddler.
She had her husband driving a car for backup (who says
men are the stronger sex??) and still she gave up
about a third of the way. The kids were miserable, and
she decided it was best to just wait till they were
better able to enjoy the trip or perhaps she could do
it on her own. (I'm thinking the diapers are what put
her over the edge.)

Another was an English woman from Cornwall, traveling
with three pre-teens and NO backup. They all were
delightful...the kids were over the moon at not having
to go to school for a while, and the mom was just
plain valiant; she did almost all their cooking for
them.
The only thing the kids missed was French fries, so we
made sure the local barman took care of that for them!

It's really hard taking care of small children at the
best of times. Taking them on a Camino? Hmmm. I would
think long and hard about that, and consider the needs
and desires of my fellow pilgrims while I was at it.

My two cents
Reb.