[Gocamino] Somport Pass

Blaroli@aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Wed May 17 18:14:46 PDT 2006

Hi Judy,
Two friends and I walked from Somport to Puente la Reina  (the one in
Navarra, not the one in Aragon) two years ago..
One of the most fulfilling,  and utterly delightful, features of the
Aragonese route is that, unlike the Navarrese sector of the French Camino, the
Aragonese one is blessedly free of structured every-step-of-the-way advice and
guidance;  yet, it is ever so  comforting and companioble, though crowds-free.
There's lots of only-you-and-the-Camino stretches. on the Aragonese route....
which is somewhat the way it must have been, way back, when pilgrims follow
their hearts with their feet towards  the light shining  through a crack in a
window of their souls..
The on-your-own, but not really,  realization, is unexpectedly  empowering
and fulfilling, perhaps more so to us today because it is so completely at odds
with our modern psychological upbringing  to expect  most things to be done
for us..
The Aragonese route,  the Via de la Plata, the Northern and the Primitive
Camino  in my view and experience,  replace accustomed comforts with a heck of a
recourse to one's inner
amazing resources.
A pilgrim from Greece sent me a message saying that walking the Camino he had
fully understood the meaning of the (originally Greek) word "enthusiasm",
which deriving from
"Theos" (God), means "the God within" all of us.. He mentioned that the
private   on-your--own stretches on the Aragonese route of the Camino had revelaed
to him what all the years qualifying for his PhD in philosophy had not.
Personally, I am eager to walk from Somport again.
Regards,
Rosina