[Gocamino] hiking sticks/poles

blaroli@aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Wed Mar 29 11:00:16 PST 2006

Hi Wendy,
  My favorite walking stick, which hangs from a bookcase in my bedroom, cost me about 5 bucks on the street at SJPP.  It replaced an expensive, and eventually discarded,  hich-tech number which telescoped, had interchanging tips and handles, etc., and which I had bought in New York  at a steep price.
In Pamplona they sell walking sticks all over the place in hardware, and other stores, for about six or seven Euros..... Ten, at most.  They are made of ordinary gnarled wood, have a small leather strap and an iron tip.  All you need do is add some tape where your hand would hold it.
Mine, unfortunately, had some flowers carved on it and SJPP's name.  But I love it anyway. It has gone to the Camino with me three times and this summer it will go once more.
After my first Camino, in 1999, when I finally got to the Santiago Cathedral, in the pouring rain, I left my hat, my poncho and even my shoes at the crypt, as an almost unconscios, and  odd, sort of offering. .  Strangely enough, I did not leave the walking stick.
Sometimes, when I'm sad, weary and disheartened (frequently of late, given the political and world surrouinding  news), I look at the walking stick to remind myself of other and  wonderful, times and places there.... on the Camino.
Regards,
Rosina