[Gocamino] New American Confraternities

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 25 11:12:39 PST 2006

Rosina,

That's been the general consensus and that is what I had always
thought, but I looked it up recently and found that some scholars
suggest that the name predated the 1510 Spanish novel by about
400-500 years and was in French, i.e. in the "Song of Roland."

http://www.answers.com/topic/origin-of-the-name-california

It is rather fascinating that the story of Roland, with its mythical
ties to the Camino, should have reference to a possible precursor to
the name California. I, personally, am inclined to accept that it was
independently coined by García Ordóñez de Montalvo for his 1510
novel, but the other version is an interesting speculation.

Best regards,

Bob