[Gocamino] Scallop shell

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 20:27:42 PST 2006

Interesting that you ask what constitutes a scallop shell...

There are many different versions of why a scallop shell and even if a
scallop shell is "earned", that is, one gets one when one reaches Santiago,
and not before.

Personally, I had a tiny silver charm necklace (still do) and not a real
scallop shell until I reached Santiago and ordered a dish in the square
along the Plaza of the Cathedral.  It was a scallop in a shell which I
meticulously wrapped and brought home.

There are several shops all along the way that sell scallops on cords or
smaller pins with a Santiago cross emblazoned.

There are legends or probably myths about pilgrims bringing scallop shells
back and them being ground into mortar for some churches---Roslyn Chapel
comes to mind...but there are many such stories.

If you really want one, you can get them in any fish market, or smaller ones
just lying on the beach.

Royal Dutch Petroleum (Shell) put out a book years ago about the scallop
shell (it's symbol) and the stories about it, including the bridegroom story
and many more.

Let us know what you do...

fascinating...