[Gocamino] Chemin de Compostelle--LePuy to Pamplona

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 09:19:12 PST 2006

Hi Patricia...

You are talking about my favorite, so far, Camino route.  I don't know where
you are located, but I flew direct to Paris where I stayed the night in a
favorite hotel in the Latin Qtr.  The next morning at 6 there is a TGV to
St. Ettienne, which gets you to a local train going direct to LePuy.  There
is only that one connection.  The local train will take you through
spectacular scenery along a river with fly fishermen, etc. to the town of Le
Puy-en-Velay.

If you are going in the fall, the second week of September is a medieval
festival in LePuy that is worth staying the day for, but St. Michael's
Needle (an ancient chapel on top of a volcanic plug) and the Cathedral (also
atop a volcanic plug) in the center of the old town are well worth it as
well.  Be sure to see the Black Madonna and the Rock of Fevers in the
Cathedral and if you can, there is a Pilgrim Mass at 7 am.

Below the Cathedral is a square (as in market) marked with a scallop showing
the beginning of the Via Podenais.  Both David, the listmaster and Ralph &
Susan can also tell you more.

The walk itself is not bad overall...rather quite beautiful and historic,
but it does goes up and down a lot.  There is a road, but why do the road
when you can traipse through the woods and fields?

I'll let some others tell you more about the gites, food, transbaggage etc.
and if you're still wondering, ask me about the variants.

Bon Chemin, (or is it bonne?)
Kathy