[Gocamino] Camino DVDs

blaroli@aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 10:54:25 PDT 2006

Hello you all,
A new Camino DVD ('no bed of roses') was mentioned in this venue a few weeks ago.  I received it in Seville via Postal COD at a total cost of 32 Euros (About 40 U.S. Dlls).
The DVD I received is in  PAL format only; its contents are nice and somewhat different.  The first part consists of about 50 minutes of fairly frank and fairly in-depth interviews of some pilgrims. This part contains subtitles in English. There is another part composed of about 150 still photographs, including some of the bull run in Pamplona (?). There is an additional part with further interviews of the same pilgrims. This part, however, does not include English subtitles, which is unfortunate because I found some of the statements more informative and open than in the first part. One of the pilgrims is a young philosopher from Argentina and his knowledge of the symbology and history of many Camino things is quite impressive.
Another rather indulgent part of the DVD contains earlier video efforts from the author-producer of the disc who spent some years in England studying visual arts.
The DVD is not, and cannot be, as spectacular and complete as the 2 1/2 hour one made by the Brits and sponsored and narrated by Richard Attenborough. That one is in a class of its own. I ordered it through the net from the Saint James Confraternity and, astonishingly, I received it in New York City in five days!. The amount charged for it and postage was about 26 U.S. Dollars.
Also, the "no bed of roses" DVD does not, per se, follow the Camino.  As mentioned before, the TV Spanish network (red es) produced a lovely DVD in 2004 that does follow the route. Its name is "Camino de Santiago" Paso a paso por la ruta Jacobea (Step by step on the Xacobean Route). It sells for 10 Euros in the bookstores in Spain and it can also be ordered through the net. It is quite lovely, and, step-by-step, through the French Way.
For those of us who are avid collectors of things Camino the "bed of roses" DVD is a nice addition, particularly, for me, because it contains an astounding interview with the Brasilian poet and photographer, Lady Foppa.  I have admired her greatly since her poem on the death of the late Pope ("What now, John?"), and the stunning photograph of the Cruz de Ferro illuminated by lightening that won her first prize in the newspapers' photography contest.
Warm regards,

Rosina
I may still have Lady Foppa's poem somewhere, if you'd like to read it.