[Gocamino] Pilgrims'Mass

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sun Dec 24 13:28:08 PST 2006

Hello you all,

At the Pilgrims' Mass today in Santiago the homily was about us pilgrims.
Msgr. Barrio, the Archbishop, spoke about the five women mentioned as ancestrecess of Jesus in the genealogy that appears in the Gospel of Saint Mathew. The five women were international: Tamar (the mother of Perez) and Rahab (the harlot) were Caananites; Ruth was a Maobite and  Delilah, (Solomon's mother), was a Hittite; the only one of the five whose provenance shall forever remain a mystery, as perhaps it should be, is, of course, Mary.
Msgr. Barrio said that those women's diversity is relived, over and over, through the extraordinary internationality of Santiago pilgrims.

The Christmas message that Don Genaro asked to be conveyed here referred to the Camino as a shelter of the heart (Refugio del corazon). The word "refugio" in Spanish can be translated as shelter, inn, or  protective warmth.
Indeed, the Camino has been, and continues to be, a priceless "refugio" for me in the unsettling uncertainty and restlessness of our times..... when the world is too much around and threatens to swallow parts of me, I close my eyes, relive walking parts of the Camino, remember its sights, sounds and pilgrims, and my soul calms down.

And then, there is the added joy of being able to communicate with you all through this medium and have the sense, and gift, of a universal family.  Because of this, and with a soul brimming with gratitude, I wish every one of you, with all my heart
                                        A very, very, Merry Christmas.

Rosina