[Gocamino] Train crash.

blaroli@aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Fri Aug 25 03:33:22 PDT 2006

Hi Patricia et al.
The two hospitaleros who died in the train crash were both from Burgos and were nearing fifty years of age.
Julian Campos is being eulogized everywhere.  He was from a well-to-do family, had a first-rate Jesuit education and had owned several bars, stores and other businesses in Burgos.  In his forties he developed ulcers in the pancreas and formed the decision to walk the Camino from Burgos. During the pilgrimage he met someone who spole about the balm for the spirit which Mother Theresa represented for so many people. He decided to go to visit her in Calcutta for a few days and flew there, even leaving his late-model Audi at the airport´s garage.
The meeting with Mother Theresa and her community had such impact on him that he stayed for three years. Apparently those who go there help out, unpaid, and choose how they wantto help.  Julian Campos noticed that the bodies of the dead waiting to be picked up by government vehicles to be taken to a burial place, were being attacked by rats, worms, all sorts of insects and circled about by birds of prey.  He chose to bestow a last measure of dignity to those bodies, and for three years he would go to the site before dawn, every single day,  and clean, dress and protect the bodies until they were picked up. Restoring some dignity to those bodies, he said, had given him his own.
After losing a lot of weight, he returned to Spain to regain his health and whiled away the time serving as hospitalero, all the time planning to return to Mother Theresa´s Mission in Calcutta. Some weeks ago he and a fellow hospitalero, Jose Manzano decided to walk the English Way; after arriving at Santiago they were going to Burgos to see their families for a few days.  Somehow they missed their train and called Jesus Jato who asked them to come over to his albergue offering to drive them to Burgos later on.  They declined his offer and decided, instead, to wait for the next train...... the one which crashed.
They were two of the six fatalities; also killed was a young Franch woman, of Spanish descent, who had just finished the pilgrimage with her fiance (who is still hospitalized); an 18 yearl old Franchman who was returning to France after visiting Santiago and a couple in their late sixties who were celebrating their retirement.
It is, very, very, sad.... and destiny-mysterious.
Regards
Rosina