[Gocamino] Train crash.

blaroli@aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Wed Aug 23 01:24:05 PDT 2006

Hello you all,
It saddens me to tell you that besides the two hospitaleros mentioned in an earlier message, an 18-year old French pilgrim was also killed in the train derailment.  He was returning home.
The train, it is now reported, was rounding a curve at a speed of 70 kms. per hour, in violation of the prescribed 40.
It is very, very sad. One of the hospitaleros that was killed was, truly, truly, a modern day non-warring Templar.... and then some. It is reassuring that such magnificent human beings still exist.
I´ve much to tell about him and about pilgrims I´ve encountered, and will do so later.

Meanwhile, please know that the snapshot-by-a-pilgrim contest has been convoked  and entries will be accepted until September 15.  You may go to  www.jacobean.net to find out the details. The prize is 450 Euros and an invitation to Santiago.

Also, someone less than human (I´d call him an S.O.B. but I have a lot of respect for female dogs), broke into the Pilgrims´office at Santiago two nights ago, breaking the door, to steal the ¨donations¨can!  While the money in the can was not much, the damage to the door and the vandalism inside the office will be expensive to repair.  When I get there I´ll find out whether, and how, we may help.

As for the Camino del Norte, (The Norther Route), they don´t call the northern coast the ¨Costa Brava¨for nothing.  In Spanish ¨Brava, or Bravo¨means harsh, challenging, near-impossible and very beautifully impressive.
Big hug!
Rosina