[Gocamino] Messages and Photos from Rosina

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:44:58 PDT 2006

Saludos a GoCamino. Here are two messages from Rosina, describing her photos
now posted on the Web. They have been downsized slightly but retain their
sharpness and impact.
… Grant

Hello,

The picture you told me that you liked so much is that of the face of the
image of "Jesus del Gran Poder" (Jesus of the Great power) in Seville. The
statue was carved in the fifteenth century and it is very much revered in
Seville. When it is taken out before dawn of Good Friday to the Cathedral,
the Nazarenes and the Penitents marching with it are more than three
thousand (the king of Spain, and Prince Felipe are brothers of the
Confraternity).  Because of its age, the statue is very delicate.  A few
years ago there was a great deal of consternation because the wood was
darkening.  Painstaking examinations disclosed some minute wood larvae
eating at it.  Scientists came from all over the world, including Japan and
the U.S.A. to try to help, but it was a group of scientists from a small
Catholic college in Scotland who were able to stop, and repair, the damage.
When the weather threatens rain the image does not come out. I, for one, am
in perfect agreement that no chances should be taken with it, despite the
fact that the members of its Confraternity, and the neighborhood, prepare
all year for the event.
The image has a lovely round church, with stunning modern frescoes of the
Via Crucis around the low cupola. The image is kept low in the altar and one
can walk around it; to standing behind it, looking upwards to the face, has
never failed to move me.
I do not believe that anyone, painter or sculptor, has ever been able to
depict in the face of Jesus his bearing the sadness and pain of our
weaknesses and misdeeds as stunningly as this image does.. I've heard many
people say that looking at that face they have been able to understand the
essence of Christ.

Well, here are some more pictures: one showing the image, at 3:30 a.m. on
Good Friday, about to enter the Cathedral..... in utter and stunned silence
(No one can possibly understand the emotions that permeate the tens of
thousands watching without being there);  another picture is a slight
profile of the face, a third one is the front, as a special show of my
affection for you all, a picture of the Macarena. The Macarena, by the way,
was carved in the seventeenth century and it is the only one of the ancient
images in Seville to have been carved by a woman artist
Perhaps Grant, a techie wizard, can make these pictures available to the
list.
-As soon as I can get to a cyber place that can help me I'll send you some
pictures of the Holy Grail.
Big hug!
Rosina

Hi Grant,
If you get the pictures I tried to send, and are able to make them available
to the list, will you also reproduce the message with the accompanying
information?  (I forgot to address it also to GoCamino.... oh well!).
Here's a picture of me in Seville with a very jet-lagged Brazilian friend
who had just arrived on Holy Thursday. I'm the happy-looking one.
Big hug!
Rosina

Kindly click on the following links to view Rosina’s photos

http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Rosina/Julio003.jpg
http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Rosina/Julio014.jpg
http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Rosina/Julio016.jpg
http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Rosina/Julio027.jpg