[Gocamino] El Cid

Renato Alvarado Vidal machi at telsur.cl
Sun Aug 6 10:08:35 PDT 2006

	Dear friends, Wendy wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In preparing for my first Camino in September I watched the 1962
> movie "El Cid" (Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren).
> I loved the movie when I saw it as a sixteen year old and it still
> moved me tremendously after 44 years! I
>
> Is anyone out there familiar with the life of "El Cid" and has also
> seen the movie? Is it a true representation of his life?

	Certainly it is not, it's not a biography, it's a new version of
"the romance". I liked that movie too, specially the scene of the
dark muslim army charging along the beach. It was great to walk
across Spain, and to see the real landscapes of history.
	One view that I recall as most impresive, was in Navarra, between
Puente la Reina and Estella; to the left, high on a small hill, there
they are, side by side and close together, a cemetery and a number of
dolmens! I got the idea that the place has been a sacred one along
the last 14.000 years.

	From the green islands of Patagonia

	Machi Patipelado