[Gocamino] Cooking as you go

t misstinuviel at lovenotwar.us
Tue Aug 1 03:32:07 PDT 2006

hi excavadora

i would agree with everyone about not carrying the stove. it will
probably be much more hassle than merit.
early morning coffee is nearly everywhere.

the small jar sounds a good idea. i never noticed a lack but what i
found indispensible was a tupperware container. any fruit, extra food
etc i would put in that. one which seals well. that way, it doesn't get
all over your stuff and you can snack on the middle of the mountain.

i would dispute the 'too tired to cook'. i was always absolutely
excited when the albergue i found myself had a working stove and a pan.
i immediately would go out and pick up food to fix a big meal. often
with 3 or 4 other folks. it was always a great time and a great way to
spend time with the other peregrinos.  i carried 2 pairs of chopsticks
with me. often there are no utensils. this way, i could always invite
someone to eat with me. the times i was too tired to cook, i was also
too tired to eat. it might be just my personality. i love food and love
to cook so it invigorates me. especially the challenge of cooking with
ingredients i'm unfamiliar and not having  'the right things'.

  i remember times picking wild herbs on the walk hoping and hoping for
a kitchen in the evening. i also have memories of twice picking a large
bag of wild mushrooms in galicia and twice having no kitchen and no way
to prepare them. the 2nd time was in muxia. jaanika and i walked into
restaurants asking if we could use the stove so we could get them
cooked but no one would let us. we even asked strangers on the street.
i guess the request was too unusual. and maybe peregrinos too rare in
muxia. we sadly composted our day's harvest. but we had a great time
picking them on the way and the experience is very memorable!

tinuviel