[Gocamino] The Grial....Grail?

Blaroli@aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sat Apr 29 19:14:00 PDT 2006

Hello,
.....So many messages.
No, I don't know where the word "Grial" or "Grail" comes from.
Does  anyone in this list know the provenance of the term?
And yes,  the "Holy Chalice" is venerated in Valencia as we write..
 In 1982 Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass at the Valencia Cathedral  using
the Chalice, as have 24 other Popes and countless Cardinals. Archbishops and
bishops done in Valencia and other places.
Those who know will tell you that when a priest celebrating Mass lifts the
chalice he says "the cup", but when the  Holy Chalice is used the celebrant
priest says "This Cup".
Pope John XXIII awarded special recognition to those who made a pilgrimage to
the chapel of the Holy Chalice  in Valencia.   Pope Pius XII awarded "Sacrum
Communionen"  distinction to the chapel.
There is a confraternity of the Holy Chalice in Valencia; their rules at
maintained at the Vatican in Rome and their head office is at the Valencia
Cathedral. The Confraternity may award the title of "Knight" or "Dame" of the Holy
Grial to those willing to abide by the Confraternity's rules. Many men and women
all over the world hold the title. Pope John Paul II was "Honorary Knight in
Perpetuity".

And, no..... I'm not a religious scholar or anything anywhere near it.
While I've been a Catholic all my life and, happily,  have never had any doubts or
problems about or with the religion that I was born into, in the autumn of my
life when I go to Mass I still look around to see when one is supposed to
stand up and so on, and, except for one or two,  I do not know the responses
during Mass that everyone else seems to know  to the letter. Oh well!...

You can read an extended history of the Holy Grail in English, more or less,
by going to
http://www.geociies.com/Athens/Rhodes/3946/santocaliz/index.html
When the page comes up click on "history" or any of the offered choices.

Regards,

Rosina