[Gocamino] Lightning - was hiking sticks/poles

Richard Ferguson <peregrino@att.net. peregrino at att.net
Mon Apr 3 14:47:39 PDT 2006

I have attended a number of talks related to lightning,  so let me offer a few
tips:

1. The time between the flash and the sound gives the distance.  It is 5 seconds
per mile.

2. You do not want to be the tallest thing in the area.  Nor do you want to
stand under the only tree in the area.

3. Most lightning deaths do not occur due to direct hits, but nearby hits that
induce ground currents, that is, currents flowing through the ground near the
lightning strike.  The ground current can flow through your body, stopping your
heart.

4. Since ground currents are the biggest threat, you do not want to be spread
out on the ground.  The standard recommendation is to crouch down on your heels,
with your feet together, and no other part of your body or equipment touching
the ground.  Don't hold hands with your loved ones.  One speaker suggested that
running was the best thing to do; after the laughter stopped, he explained that
when you run you only have one foot on the ground at a time, so you are
protected from ground currents.

5. The inside of a car is about the safest place to be, the metal body becomes a
kind of Faraday cage.  Buildings are generally regarded as safe.

If I thought that the storm had gotten very close, I would take off my pack and
crouch down as described above.  If I was in a group I would try to spread out.
I would probably prefer a forest to open country, but that is not always an
option.

Richard

From: Hathor821 at aol.com