[Gocamino] Re: California missions

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 07:54:28 PDT 2005

Rebekah,

Joe Bañales has been researching (i.e. walking parts of) the mission
route in the Southern California from San Diego to San Fernando and
further, I have lost track of just how far. This is the worst part
for walkers, of course, since it is solidly metropolitan. The center
part is still relatively rural, so there are some good walking
sections. Check out the following URL:

http://janhaag.com/TRmiss.html

I believe that Joe has reported his results on a website (and also at
the S.B. meeting, which was held, appropriately, next to the S.B.
Mission) and I was trying to find it by doing a Barney on "Mission
Walk." I'm sure that I have the URL for it somewhere buried away in
my bookmarks, but I can't remember where. But, anyway, the search
brought up Jan Haag's narrative and I was sure that you would find
that interesting. As I pointed out, the distances, for the most part,
are too long for the average walker to do in a day, so it is
necessary to find suitable stops in between. Cyclists have it easier
and there has been at least one report by a cyclist who did the north
to south route a few years ago. (The prevailing SW winds make that
the recommended direction - at least for cyclists.)

I will continue to look for Joe's reports, but in the meantime I
thought that it would be worthwhile to bring Haag's report to your
attention.

regards,

Bob S.