[Gocamino] Where to begin

Donald Schell donaldschell at saintgregorys.org
Sat Mar 12 07:32:15 PST 2005

Jim,

When I walked with my daughter in 1998 we walked the same route 300
mile route with the same break in the middle.  (Maria had just
graduated from college and because of her junior year abroad in Cordoba
and all she'd heard about the Camino, announced she walking it Camino.
I asked if I could walk with her.  She said she'd wanted to ask me but
was afraid I'd have to say  no.)  She got to Spain before me for a
Spanish friend's wedding.  Because she'd also spent time in Barcelona
and wanted me to see it, we met there and I had two nights in Barcelona
and a whole day of sightseeing to get over jet lag.

Climbing all the stairs in Sagrada Familia was our last bit of training
before the Camino.  We took a sleeper train from Barcelona to Bayonne.
It was early July, so the train was packed with college students headed
for Pamplona for the running of the bulls.  By the time we'd taken the
local train to Saint Jean Pied de Port and got ourselves some some
bread, fruit and nuts to carry, we didn't set out until 1:30.  And then
we managed to get lost and then at the summit where the path and the
road came together, didn't look at our map and took the longer way
down.  So we didn't get in to Roncesvalles until 8 p.m.  We missed the
pilgrim's mass but there was room for us in the Refugio.

We agreed that if either of us ever returned to begin at SJPP, we'd
plan to get in the day before and spend the night there.  The medieval
French town is pretty.  I'm with you a hundred percent though - an
early morning beginning from SJPP, would be a better beginning than we
made, but your brief uphill climb, a night's rest, and completing the
climb fresh the next day sounds great.

love,
donald