[Gocamino] Transformation on the Camino

Richard Ferguson <peregrino at att.net. peregrino at att.net
Fri Mar 11 17:44:11 PST 2005

I walked to Santiago as a pilgrim, I even got a blessing before I left from my parish priest.

At the time, I remember thinking that I had gotten less out of it than I expected.  Arriving at Santiago was anticlimactic.  I remember walking in the rain, turning a corner, and looking up to see the cathedral.  I just stood there in the rain, gawking, realizing that I had arrived, but not having really strong feelings about it.  A lady holding an umbrella asked me, in several languages, if I needed a room, I finally told her no.  I was kind of disappointed not to feel more.  I was glad to have done it, but I did not feel "transformed".

The tranformation in my case came later, when I figured out what I had really learned on pilgrimage.  The most important thing that I learned was something that I probably learned in kindergarten, but somehow it got squeezed out of me along the way, perhaps by high expectations.  It can be expressed in very few words:  "Ask for help when you need it".  In a way, I recognized it on the trip; a friend of mine said that I mentioned it right after I got back.  But it took me months to realize how important that it was.

My pilgrimage is still extremely important to me whenever I think about God and religion.

One minor transformation is that I now ask for directions, which men are reported not to do.  ;-)

Richard

From: "Brooke Broadbent" <bbroadbent at sympatico.ca>