[Gocamino] Use of Credit Cards

Richard Ferguson <peregrino at att.net. peregrino at att.net
Thu Mar 10 12:22:47 PST 2005

I recently saw a similar notice.

I try to put all my charges on my credit union debit card, since it does not tack on the additional charge.  I figured this out years ago, when I noticed that the exchange rate seemed less favorable on one card than the other.  I usually carry two cards from two different institutions in two different places, both of which I have PIN numbers for, so that if I lose one card I can continue the trip on the other card.  Of course, I have never lost a card, but maybe that is because I carry a spare.  ;-)

Mastercharge/Visa themselves charge 1% for a foreign exchange fee.  The extra 2% is profit for your credit card company, as I understand it.  See the article below for more info.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20010416a.asp

You may want to make some phone calls before you go to figure out what the foreign exchange fees are for the cards that you carry now.  Maybe one of your cards has a better fee structure.

Richard

From: "Glenn" <Guha2005 at hotmail.com>