[Gocamino] Saint James in Brooklyn

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Wed Mar 2 18:02:36 PST 2005

Hello you all,
Allow me to make some explanations  for those of you who might not be
terribly familiar with the "Big Apple":
New York City is composed of five boroughs (counties) which are separate and
quite distinct:  there is the island of Manhattan, which is what most people,
particularly abroad, think of as "New York". The island is fairly small and
you can cross its entire width, let's say, around 42nd. street, from river to
river in fifteen or twenty minutes; the island is separated from the rest of New
York City by rivers and it is dotted everywhere with  skyscrapers, except in
the area where I live, Greenwich Village, which used to be an art colony and
is quite different in ambiance and outlook from the rest of Manhattan since it
has no skyscrapers;  none can be built because "the village", as we call it,
is a protected  "historical district" which allows for far less density in
population and more trees, parks,   greenery and space..
The other four boroughs are: 1) "The Bronx", made famous by the Yankees
baseball team,  by its  burgeoning population and by its fine schools;  2)
"Queens", where people can own a house without having to move all the way out to the
suburbs;- our  airports, "La Guardia"  and JFK are in Queens-. 3)  Staten
Island  which is a small island all  by itself  close to  the Statue of Liberty.
People who live there take a ferry to come to work in Manhattan or drive over
the Verrazano Bridge  (of Saturday Night Fever fame). Friends of mine who live
there love it because, they say, they are in New York City while not having to
be in the City (!). Also, I should think, the views of lower Manhattan from
Staten Island are fabulous.
And then,.... there is Brooklyn; connected to lower Manhattan by two famous
bridges: the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge (for the sake of
equanimity). Oodles  and oodles of notable people have come, and keep coming, from
Brooklyn. A generation ago there were Barbara Stanwick, Susan Hayward,  Rita
Hayworth (whose mother and father, by the way, were flamenco artists from Seville,
and arrived in this continent just in time for Rita to be born) and a great
many others.  Of newer vintage there are Barbara Streisand, Beverly Sills,
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Rudolph Giuliani.... and on, and on,
and on...And as though such luminaries were not enough, Brooklyn also has
Saint James..... OUR Saint James!
Precisely, there is the Saint James Cathedral in Brooklyn, and its Bishop,
Ignatius Catanello has invited all Santiago pilgrims in the Metropolitan area to
make a Way of the Cross Pilgrimage over the Brooklyn Bridge on Good Friday.
The walk will start out at the Cathedral at 10:00 a.m. and will be led by the
Bishop, observing the Stations of the Cross, over the bridge, towards City
Hall Park and then to Ground Zero to commemorate the sacrifice of the nearly
3,000 people  who died there.  The procession will end at St. Peter's Church, 22
Barclay Street, in lower Manhattan at 1:30 p.m.
Poignantly, it was only two days ago that it was announced that more than one
thousand of the 9/11 victims will remain unidentified forever. The coroner
has determined that further efforts of identification would be in vain and has
closed its facilities  there..
I myself will be in Seville on Good Friday, but as soon as I come back I will
certainly go to Brooklyn to pay a visit to the Saint James Cathedral which,
frankly, I did not even know it existed until now.
And, lastly, let me repeat that all five  boroughs compose the one City of
New York  under the mayoral jurisdiction of only one mayor: Mike Bloomberg.  And
all of us New Yorkers do come together a heck of a lot riding, as we must,
"our hole in the ground" subways.
I, like Kat Gower, would just love to see us have an albergue on the Camino
sponsored by North Americans. There is little I wouldn't do to bring to reality
such a wish.   It occurred to me that calling, or nicknaming,  the albergue
Brooklyn might do very well indeed. .  After all, didn't soccer superstar from
England, Beckham, now a knight, and his equally famous Spice-Girl wife name
their son Brooklyn?
Warm regards,
Rosina