[Gocamino] Re: [Santiagobis] april pilgrimage

Robert Spenger rspenger at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 2 08:00:26 PST 2005

The subject of cell phones and separated parties reminds me of another
item that I have been wondering about. Well before cell phones became
prevalent , hiking groups in the U.S. were using citizen band radios to
keep in touch when members of a group got separated. Even now, CB units
are superior to cell phones for that use in my neck of the woods. On
one of my local hikes, I could see my house, only two miles away, but I
could not get through on my cell phone because the nearest tower was
over 20 miles away behind a hill. If we had a pair of CBs, I could have
called home with no trouble. I have heard that it is illegal to use
U.S. CB units in Europe, but does anyone know if there is a European
equivalent? We have tentative plans to do part of the LePuy route in
the spring and, though I hope to walk the whole time, my wife will be
using motor transport (if we find that it is available) a good part of
the time. If this works out, it would be useful to have a pair of CBs
on hand to keep coordinated.

regards,

Bob S.