[Gocamino] Le Puy route questions

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 22 18:46:44 PDT 2005

Hi Richard,

I haven't walked the complete way from LePuy, but I have walked lePuy to
Moissac...in September/October, and in my humble opinion, the best time to
walk because of the weather and the harvests along the way.  The GR65 is a
sports route as well as the Chemin de Compostelle and the way is never
lonely at night in the gites, chambre d'hotes and hostels.

A gite is like a refugio...small rooms with bunks and a well-equipped
kitchen.  Chambre d'Hotes are more like a bed and breakfast, without the
frily decor...someone who has opened their home to pilrims and travelers and
serves meals, often from their gardens.  A hotel, is well, a hotel, but not
as pricey as the big cities.

Miam-miam-do-do is a book published in French, available from the
Confraternity and from Amazon.uk.  It has all of the train info, where the
post offices are and most importantly, the telephone numbers of all
accomodations, public and private because as you may have heard, the French
do take reservations.  It's also handy to call to see if a place is open if
you are much off season.

I stayed in gites, chambre d'hotes, convents, monasteries, hotels and
privately run "alberques".  All were clean and acceptable and had
kitchens...where either food was served or available.

The LePuy route is slightly longer than 800 Kms or about 500 miles, a few
miles over St. Jean to Santiago on the Camino Frances.  It is France and I
dare say the food better, slightly more expensive but worth it and the
walking a little more rigorous.  To me, it has a decidedly more matriarchial
feel than patriarchal Spain...it is more lush in places, and every church
seems to be dedicated to the Virgin.  These are sweeping generalities, but
it is the route of the Black Madonnas and there is a sense of being held.

I'm sure there are others that can put their two cents in, but I love the
LePuy route and will go there again this fall, St. James and the entire
Pantheon of saints willing.

>From American Pilgrims I rec'd an e-mail from a refugio/accomodation outside
Vezellay that is open to pilgrims and two young American girls have just
made their way through.  I can give that e-mail if you're interested.

In the mean time, there are many websites on the LePuy Route, so happy
hunting.

From: peregrino at att.net (Richard Ferguson <peregrino at att.net.)
To: gocamino at oakapple.net (Gocamino Listserver)
Subject: [Gocamino] Le Puy route questions
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:32:35 +0000

I was very interested in the discussion about Le Puy guidebooks.