[Gocamino] The Pope on St James Day

Sil sillydoll at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 03:03:49 PDT 2005

Here are the words of the pope before the Angelus prayer:
Dear brothers and sisters!Tomorrow is the feast day of the Apostle St
James, brother of John, whose relics are venerated in the famous
sanctuary of Compostela in Galizia, destination of countless pilgrims
from all around Europe. Yesterday, we recalled St Bridget of Sweden,
Patroness of Europe. On 11 July, St Benedict was commemorated, another
great Patron of the "old continent". Looking at these Saints, one
spontaneously lingers to reflect on the contribution made by
Christianity, and which it continues to offer, to the construction of
Europe. I would like to do so by returning in thought to the
pilgrimage which the Servant of God, John Paul II, undetook in 1982 to
Santiago de Compostela, where he fulfilled a solemn "Europeistic Act",
during which he pronounced the memorable words: "I, Bishop of Rome and
Pastor of the universal Church, direct a cry full of love to you, oh
old Europe, from Santiago: Return to and be yourself! Discover your
origins. Revive your roots. Relive those authentic values which made
your history glorious and your presence in other continents
beneficial" (Teachings, vol. V/3, 1982, p. 1260). John Paul II then
launched a project for a Europe which is aware of its spiritual unity
based on the foundation of Christian values. He returned to this theme
on World Youth Day of 1989, which took place in Santiago de
Compostela. He hoped for a Europe without borders, which did not deny
the Christian roots from whence it sprung and did not renounce the
authentic humanism of the Gospel of Christ! (cfr Teachings, vol.
XII/2, 1989, p. 328). How current this appeal remains, in the light of
recent events in the European continent!In less than a month, I too
will go on pilgrimage to a historic European Cathedral, that of
Cologne, where young people are set to meet for their XX World Day.
Let us pray so new generations, drawing on their vital lifeblood of
Christ, will be able to ferment a renewed humanism, in which faith and
reason cooperate in fertile dialogue for the promotion of man and the
edification of authentic peace. We ask God for the intercession of the
Most Holy Mary, who guards as Mother and Queen on the journey of all
nations.