[Gocamino] Explosions in Santiago

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sun Jul 24 07:44:23 PDT 2005

Hello you all,
Yesterday, about 3:30 p.m. a "mini-bomb" exploded in Santiago in a
thoroughfare  busier than usual by the large influx of pilgrims and tourists in Santiago
on the occasion of the St. James' Day (tomorrow) weekend.
Fortunately there were no personal injuries.
In expectation of the opportunities for mischief afforded by the large crowds
 in Santiago to celebrate the Apostle's day, the authorities had kept some
groups under observation.  About 2:40 p.m. plainclothes policemen spotted  a
young man who was acting suspiciously and alerted the regular police.  The
uniformed policemen saw the young man enter into the Caixa Galicia Bank and leave a
backpack in the area where the ATMs are located.  The suspect was joined by a
young woman after leaving the bank and the two then ran to disappear among the
crowds.  While they were being chased the police evacuated the bank and the
adjacent restaurants and shops and cordoned off the area.  At 3:40 p.m. a bomb
went off and the ensuing explosion shattered the entrance area of the bank.
The young man, Uxio Caamanho, was arrested in the street and the young woman,
Xiana Rodriguez, was detained at the bus station.  Both were carrying false
identification papers but later conceded their true identity. They are both
members of the radical group AMI,  Assambleia da Mocidade Independentista (Youth
Assembly for Independence.......... -of Galicia?-) and will be dealt with
penally.

Another explosion will take place tonight, but a joyful one:  three tons of
fireworks will be set off at midnight to welcome the Apostle's day, with the
traditional "burning of the Cathedral" in front of the Obradoiro stairway.  The
fireworks will be augmented by Laser ray exhibitions,  and the occassion will
be marked, as usual, by the Xunta's free dispensing of Cava (Spanish
champagne)  to the celebrants.

Having been fortunate enough to have been in Santiago on two mind-blowing
fireworks-celebration occasions, I couldn't wish more than I were there.
However, I am convalescing from an operation which was made worse by delaying it
over and over,  so I'm stuck in New York City for the summer.  Luckily,  the
Bolshoi Ballet company is here after an absence of far too many years
and, convalescing or not, I've been there for more of their performances,
over the objections of family and doctor,  and they've done me more good than any
medicines and bed-rest ever could. I wouldn't be surprised if I manage to get
to Santiago for a week or so next month.

Well, have a Happy Saint James' day tomorrow.

Hugs!

Rosina