[Gocamino] Camino Safety (Women)

John Paterson nosertap at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 12:17:52 PDT 2005

Hi All -

I know it's been rare, and hopefully this isn't a new
negative trend for the Camino, but the following was
posted on the caminosantiago.com forum (lone female
walkers should be aware of it):
From: Emily

It's been six weeks since I've read the forum as I
have just returned from walking the camino. Yes, it is
as great ...or even better!....as everyone said it
would be!!

However, I feel like I need to tell other people about
safety on the trail and my experiences. I am sure this
will depress many of you. I was attacked by a man on
the trail in Galicia (not a pilgrim....he jumped out
of the woods...nobody was around) and robbed. He
covered my mouth and nose so that I could not breathe
while he demanded money. Other than a bruised arm I
was not really hurt. He just wanted my money. I gave
it to him.

Of course the beautiful thing is that I was
immediately lifted up by numerous fellow pilgrims.
They helped me talk to the police. They comforted me
and accompanied me for the rest of the trip. I talked
many hours with a wonderful Spaniard, Juan, who made
me realize it was not my problem--the problem is the
thief's.

Unfortunately it was not the only incident. I was
walking on a lonely road and a man in a car pulled up
and asked if I would have sex for money. There was
nobody around. Luckily he drove off when I refused,
but I know of another woman who was very worried
because a man (a different one) actually got out of
the car and was urging her to get in.

I have to say that one of my favorite things was
walking by myself, and I don't know if I could do it
again. However, I did feel that each day was a
complete blessing from God and I know he walked with
me the whole time. Emily