[Gocamino] London

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 10:22:07 PDT 2005

There is a statement in physics, “Nature abhors a vacuum”.
It applies in the political, economic, religious and sociological arenas as
well.

The Moors could make a quick entry into Spain and Europe because of the
enthusiasm for their faith, and the lack of enthusiasm for the Christian
faith. The Dark Ages were dark for a reason. There was a general malaise of
faith, there was an all-encompassing temporal power exerted by Rome. The
Muselman brought with them men of letters. Their sciences had not been
oppressed by the church; the ‘Galileo versus the Pope’ syndrome was not a
problem in Islamic culture. Western knowledge and culture and faith
paradoxically survived in monasteries during these troubled times. Complete
monastic communities picked up and moved from the Islamic south to the
Christian north of Spain to continue their work. Everything is a complex
mix. Nothing can be described in a single simplistic statement.

Christianity most certainly has had violence and destruction associated with
it through the Middle Ages. Some of the crusades were motivated by religion,
some by politics and greed. Most were a mix. The French and Spanish
Inquisitions were more focused on Jews than Muslims, but still a brutal time
to be alive. There were heavy political and economic subcurrents with these
activities. Machiavelli was alive and well in the Middle Ages. Everything
associated with mankind is fatally flawed. Human nature is fatally flawed.
Everyone has erred. All peoples, all cultures, all governments, all
religious organizations. It’s just the nature of the beast.

All history is just part of the bigger picture. We on the immediate
receiving end of history often fail to see the interconnections. History is
being made, major shifts are happening. The world we have known is changing
rapidly. I am neither pro- this or anti- that. I am at the same time a
participant and an observer. The immediate outcome I see is more control
over the general public in our western societies. Welcome the new world.
Not, perhaps, the one you were expecting.

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com
http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago