[Gocamino] Slavery in the Americas

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 07:51:45 PST 2005

I can't speak to the finer points of Iberian Colonialism, but I do know the corbels and carvings on the Conquistador's mansions in the town of Trujillo and Caceres, in Extremadura.
Among them is a deep-relief carving of a string of men with distinctive Indian features, being led in chains behind a triumphant Spaniard.

It's very easy for us, with our 20/20 hindsight, to look down on the mindset that created such inequities. But until all our own poor and hungry are housed and fed, I think it's a mistake to feel too superior. Every generation has its own sins to atone for.

Rebekah

Rebekah Scott, periodista
Westmoreland County bureau
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette USA