[Gocamino] The weight of boots

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 11:54:27 PST 2005

Eldor brings up the best point of all: Fit is Foremost. I have a need for
major arch support, have a narrow foot, and a heel that is less prominent.
It seems the Adidas lasts seem to fit my feet’s requirements, so I know
where to shop. Adidas and Solomon are different brands from the same design
group, so I have a second choice. His Ecco brand boots are really fantastic
boots. Really nice design and excellent manufacturing quality. They treat
his feet right, but alas, they don’t fit mine. There are other major brands
I like the look and feel of the boot, but just don’t fit my feet. And that
is where the rubber meets the road. Your feet need the footwear that fits
you. Yup, it’s really deluxe to find a boot which both fits, has a tread and
suspension which buffers the feet, and is light. It is both a science and an
art. You will probably buy a lot of footwear and walk a lot of miles before
you find the magic combination.

In the mean time, test the socks first. I am a true believer in the Thorlo
brand 'TKX - Backpacker' socks. They are the number one interface with your
feet. You need to size THE boot while wearing THE sock. You can read about
them on the web here:
http://www.thorlo.com/datadriven/view_product.asp?s=TKX. They may look too
heavy to you at first glance, but that ‘heavy’ is a shock absorber, and the
friend of your feet. I wear them in the summer Meseta, as well as the winter
California mountains. I changed from cotton to wool blends as my everyday
sock 30 years ago. I switched out of the wool blend for several weeks once,
and my feet rebelled. I wondered why I was having the sudden problems with
my feet. The light bulb went on, I switched back to the wool blends, and
life went back to normal.

So get out there and walk the Walk. See you along the Way!

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com
http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago