[Gocamino] (no subject)

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 07:54:31 PST 2005

Hello you all,
The medal-bestowing ceremony was quite an elaborate affair that began at the Cathedral at 11:30 a.m.  The would-be recipients sat in reserved seats in the front rows, were called one by one to have their cordoned medals placed around their necks and to have their pictures taken.
There were three types of recipients:  individual honorees, new Universal Archicofradia members and "hermanos and hermanas mayores", meritorious confraternity members given special recognition.  While the medals were the same, the cords were different.
To answer Kat Gower´s early question:  yes.... it is possible for "groups" to receive the medals.  There was a group of five Germans being given special recognition for their work in Germany on behalf of the Camino: they have started a practical-information-and-help unit in their "Friends Association" and are beginning the creation of a German-pilgrims-sponsored albergue.
It seems that Kat Gower´s dream of having a North-American-sponsored pilgrims´albergue is very much viable.  I´ve learned that there is really no need to purchase the property; it can actually be leased on very reasonable, and long-period, terms. The actual¨"sponsoring" comes from staffing and providing equipment such as washers, dryers, heaters, cots, etc..... which really shouldn´t be a problem for us, should it?
It would seem that the essential decision need focus on the location..... I know, I know, most all pilgrims are French Camino devotees. I, myself, have fallen in love with the Via de la Plata.
The medals and pilgrims Mass was followed by a dinner (formal lunch) at the San Martin Seminary. It was held on what must be the second or third basement..... a long dining room used by the Seminarians which was bone-shattering in cold and humidity (I wonder any seminarian survives such conditions.... these may be one the reasons for the dearth of new priests). The monk-prepared food, however, was delicious: fideo soup, chich-peas and¨"grelos" (sort of collard greens) and baked potatoes, with an abundance of hot meat cuts and that delicious Galician bread and cheese. All accompanied by Ribeiro wine and Alberinho.  I was the only one at my large refrectory-type table of forty or so drinking Coca Cola (I guess I´ll never make a proper European.... I just can´t handly wine during the day).
I didn´t know that I was sharing the table with Archocofradia female honchos who knew everyone and everything.  We, NorthAmerican pilgrims were particularly recognized during a
speech since, oit was noted,  we must cross the Atlantic to come over at no small expense and effort (Although I, myself, think the Brazilians worthier of the recognition since their yearly income is a fraction of ours, among other things, and they have even managed to have an albergue here).
After the dinner we went back to the Cathedral for the closing of the Holy Door, and another high Mass.  The Archbishop and the dignitaries followed the reverse of last year´s route.  At the end of the procesion the Archbishop knelt before the door and locked it.
This is the first year in which the door will not be walled-up, nor should it be, since the new bronze door is a magnificent work of art.
I was informeds that if one is in a proper state of grace and contrition one may have comunion again during the same day as long as it is at least two hours before the previous one (I didn´t know that).
The door closed and most of us cried a little.... but as the Archbishop said: the doors at the heart of Jesus are always open.
There was a Te Deum, processions, a magnificent choir, and at six thirty p.m. the ceremonies ended and most of us went off to prepare for the New year´s Eve do.
(I wrote an exhuberant message about the New Year´s doings at Quintana.... alas! it seemed to have gone lost.....will try again)
Love you all... Happy New year!
Rosina