[Gocamino] The distance

Eldor Pederson eopederson at msn.com
Sun Aug 7 20:24:26 PDT 2005

  a.. You did not specify where you will be arriving in Europe. Depending on that, 31 days is more than enough time to begin at Pamplona and walk the route from there. Starting at St.Jean is a very foolish beginning, for the first day is excessively difficult, especially for someone jet laged from a trans-Atlantic flight and rail journey to St. Jean. If you are flying to Paris, take the train to Pamplona, or even Logrono, and begin from there. 31 days to make the walk from Pamplona is about optimal, and from Logrono it would give the luxury of several rest days. Beginning at St. Jean is foolish even when time is not of the essence, for beginning the walk with the most difficult single day is never a good idea no matter the destination. If you must return home from Santiago exactly 31 days after arrival in Spain, then begin at Pamplona, Puente la Reina, Estella, or even Logrono in order to give yourself 1) adequate time to get in condition for long distance walking and 2) enough time to enjoy your walk.