[Gocamino] hiker's/walker's/golfer's leg rash

Eldor Pederson eopederson at msn.com
Sat Aug 6 09:50:11 PDT 2005

Although she is unwilling to make a diagnosis without seeing the patient, my wife who is a physician suggests several possibilities, two of which may be relevant. The first is an allergy to wool or some other substance in ones clothing or to a plant growing along the trail (poison oak and ivy are the two most common in North America).  Remedies include going to non-allergenic materials and to follow the usual precautions and treatments of poisonous plants. A second and more likely explanation is a simple heat rash, not a serious condition. One can use various over-the-counter treatments to reduce itching if that is a problem. If you have not yet begun your walk on the Camino, it might be a good idea to contact your physician to ensure that the rash is not a symptom of something more serious, even though that is unlikely.