[Gocamino] hospitals, hospices, and refugios

backpack45scb rbalcorn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:17:51 PDT 2005

*My wife Susan asked me to post this question for her:

I'd like to clarify some terminology used in various
guidebooks. When considering the early days of the
pilgrimage, are the terms hospital and hospice
interchangeable? And, are both what we think of when
we talk about refugios today?

I've noticed that some hospitals treated both pilgrims
who needed food and shelter only while others
apparently had medical care available. (Some were
even set up for lepers.)

In Medieval times, did other people (those not on
pilgrimage) also go to hospitals for medical
treatment, and if so, were these places seperate from
where the pilgrims could go?

Thank you, in advance, for any light you can shed on
these questions.

Buen Camino,
Susan Alcorn

*