[Gocamino] Santi9ago pilgrim departed

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sat Apr 2 15:49:52 PST 2005

As a  seminarian Karol Wojtyla walked the Camino del Norte, and, once again,
as a priest. As Pope John Paul II he made a ten-day visit to Spain in 1982, at
the end of which, from the tomb of Santiago, he made a stirring call for
including spiritual renewal in the political reconstruction of Europe. He also met
with the "men of the sea" in Obradoiro Square, and, after praying with them
in the Cathedral  he flew back to Rome from Labacolla.
In 1989 he flew directly from Rome to Labacolla in a visit in which he deemed
himself "a pilgrim". From Monte del Gozo he presided over a Youth World
Forum; he then walked from Saint Francis Square to the Cathedral, as a symbolic
pilgrim, carrying a cedar walking stick and wearing a pilgrim's cape, to pray at
the crypt that holds the tomb of the Apostle.

Like hundreds of millions all over the world, I am heartbroken and very, very
 saddened by his death,  and I do firmly believe that the world has become
quite impoverished without his wise, good, and loving presence.
The Brasilians have posted a simple message on their pilgrim's e-list that
expresses the only thing that, I think,  any one of us can say:
       Adeus,  Joao de Deus.
 In Spanish:
       Adios, Juan de Dios
In English, roughly