Record tracking at albergues

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Sep 24 11:19:28 PDT 2004

Hola,
The Santiago newspapers have mentioned several times, including today, the
desirability of maintaining electronic records of pilgrims that can be forwarded
from albergue to albergue.
While we are almost at the end of September, many pilgrims in the French
Camino are still encountering difficulties in obtaining a berth in many albergues.
 There has been a steady stream of complaints about "pijigrinos", presumably
those who travel the Camino without backpacks, or with support vehicles, and
who manage to get to the albergues early and secure a bed crowding the true
"peregrinos" out.

While albergue keepers do have some criteria for admission, such as the
carrying of a backpack, or the provenance of the pilgrims, there is really no
effective method to verify the data given. Because of this, those "truer" pilgrims
who feel cheated have been urging the Xunta to establish a net of electronic
communication between albergues so that the data, and the bona fides, of those
seeking refuge may be capable of some verification.
It seems that the Xunta is seriously considering such communication network.

I would simply advise pilgrims to try other routes:  the albergues throughout
the Via de la Plata, all the way to Puente Ulla, had plenty of room.  True,
you had to go to a bar, or the police station, to get the key... but they were
clean, ample, commodious,  roomy and with kitchen faclities and hot water.  In
the long stretches without albergues the local bar owner, or the police,
would always direct the pilgrims to someone's house, or some other facility which
would be just as satisfying as most albergues on the French Camino, I should
think.

There have also been complaint about the Pilgrims' Mass (or Masses, since
there are two a day this year).  Many pilgrims have requested that there be, in
fact, a Mass for pilgrims only, since the others are full of tourists and
non-pilgrims  who come to see the Botafumeiro and leave no room for the pilgrims
themselves..
When I was in Santiago earlier this month I couldn't even get into the
Cathedral at Mass time.  For the Pilgrims' Masses they open wide both the
Azabacherias  and the Platerias doors so that those who couldn't get in could hear Mass
from the outside of the church, receive Communion, and, perhaps, get a glimpse
of the Botafumeiro.  In the six days that I spent in Santiago I couldn't get
into the Cathedral proper for Pilgrims' Mass.... not even once!
But,..... holding a Mass for pilgrims only and keeping everyone else out?
It'll never happen.  I'll be going back to Santiago for Thanksgiving, not as a
pilgrim, and I would certainly have a royal tizzy fit  if I couldn't attend
the Pilgrims' Mass.
Meanwhile, pilgrims are still pouring into Santiago like there's no tomorrow,
and the festivities continue. Five thousand people heard the Mexican singer
Luis Miguel night before last. He is a super-popular idol both in  Latin
America and Latin Europe,  and he didn't help the crowding situation at the
Cathedral by going through the Holy Door, up to hug the Apostle, down to the crypt and
then to Mass.
Oh well!
Warm regards,
Rosina