hotel in Paris

James Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Thu Sep 23 05:13:26 PDT 2004

I guess next time I'm in Paris, I'll have to remember to take my spurs
off before going to bed!

Jim-Austin, Texas

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of E. O. Pederson
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:32 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: hotel in paris

If you leave in early October and allow a month to get from Le Puy to
St.
Jean, that would put you back in Paris for the very busy All-Saints
holiday. Writing as one who is often in Paris in the autumn, a word of
warning, early October through the All Saints-All Souls holiday (Nov
1-2)
is a very busy time for hotels in Paris. Advance reservations are all
but
essential for the more popular hotels and also for the TGV and other
longer distance trains. Business meetings of various sorts and school
trips are popular in the autumn, I am told.

That said, there are a number of reasonably priced and quite pleasant
hotels in the 6th and 7th arr., convenient to the Gare Montparnasse
where
trains from the south terminate (and the Air France bus to De Gaulle
originates), as well as to Metro and tourist destinations like Tour
Eiffel, Ecole Militaire, Musee Orsay, Musee Rodin, and Invalides. Some
quite wonderful, reasonably-priced restaurants are also nearby as is the
Rue Cler street market. The area is quieter and "more Parisian" than the
popular Right Bank tourist quarters.

A hotel in the 7th I find quite pleasant is the Hotel Latour-Maubourg
(though it is rather too popular with Texans and not all that cheap). It
is three star, but on Rue Cler and adjacent to it, a couple of blocks
away, are a number of one and two star places, and all of them I have
stayed in have been good value for money.

An excellent source of information on Paris hotels is Sandra Gustafson's
Cheap Sleeps in Paris (ISBN 0-8118-1831-4)for she lists good value (not
always cheap in the absolute sense) hotels and provides email, telephone
and other booking information.

E. O. Pederson