Pilgrims' office in Santiago

lydiaabanales.net lydiaaBANALES.NET
Wed Sep 22 08:38:28 PDT 2004

I am in a hurry and can´t easily reply to Rosina personally so I will share
with all. We are not peregrinos this time but drove much of the route
staying in the Hostel San Marcos in Leon - a wonderful treat! We drove up
to O Cebreriero on a perfect day, so beautiful. Arrived in Santiago in time
to not only go through the Holy Door, but the line continued on up the
stairs to embrace our beloved Santiago and to see the crypt. It was very
special. Now we are in Sevilla and I wanted to thank Rosina for telling us
about the exhibit of the madonnas of the Immaculate Conception. It was
breathtaking - images from several centuries, paintings and statues. I
loved it. Many many thanks. Tomorrow Granada. Ah the beauty. Lydia

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:20:57 EDT
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Pilgrims' office in Santiago

Hello you all,
First, I apologize for the tardiness in sending this message; I've just been
snowed under the work accumulated over the seven weeks that I was away.
Thanks to the efforts and legal structure of the Santa Barbaras, formally
known as "American Pilgrims on the Camino", more than 700 dollars were
collected
from American pilgrims and sent to the Pilgrims' Office to help them out
when
their old and overworked computers gave up the ghost.
Although it took weeks from the time that the funds were sent until their
were credited to the proper account in Santiago, they did arrive and were
immediately put to the purpose.  When I arrived at Santiago the people
there showed
me the new equipment and thanked me profusely ... and unfairly ... since the
funds did not come from me.
Juan Jose Serbian Franco, the distinguished sociologist, professor and (very
prolific) writer, who is head of the Sociology Department of the Archdiocese
(I don't know exactly what the Department does), was in charge of the
Pilgrims'
office temporarily when Don Jaime fell ill, and when the computers broke
down, and it was with him that the American pilgrims made the first contact
about
contributing something to help them out.  His brother, Genaro, whom I met is
now the official replacement of Don Jaime, and, as was Don Jaime, he is a
Canonigo of the Cathedral (a Canonigo is an official priest of the
Cathedral who
serves Mass and has other responsib ilities for the Cathedral's maintenance
and
functions).
I was introduced to Don Genaro and he thanked me profusely for the help we
gave e them.  I explained that the contributions did not come fromme, b ut
from
a group of American pilgrims willing to help and to give back to the Camino
something in exchange for the riches we have received from it.  He told me
that
when the funds were received they did not show an address of provenance to
which they could have sent a letter of thanks.
Consequently, I am the rather embarrassed conduit for such thanks.... Please
receive and accept them. They could not be more heartfelt.
And, I wish I could convey the smiles, the warm embraces, and the undeniable
emotion repeatedly expressed at knowing that we, American Pilgrims, care so
much for the Camino that we put a little bit of our wallets where our
sentiments
evidently are.

As soon as I am somewhat  caught up with work, perhaps by Wednesday, I will
begin to post my most salient impressions of that magnificent Via de la
Plata.
By the way, I learned that Pope John XXIII, so beloved by many, even by
non-Christians, made the Camino pilgrimage twice,..... on the Northern Way.
So I
guess one need walk that Way next year.
Meanwhile, I am very happy to have gotten my tickets to go to Santiago for
Thanksgiving, for a few more passes through the Holy door and a few more
embraces of Jimmy.  His new cape, by the way, is quite beautiful.  I was
able to take
picture of the Santiago image's back without the cape last January, and now
of the image with his new cape.  One of these days I'll have someone post
the
pictures here.
Lastly, the lines of pilgrims waiting to go  through the Holy Door
reportedly still extends onto the Platerias stairs! Two weeks into
September.
(There must have been pilgrims who went early to avoid "the rush", pilgrims
who joined "the rush", and pilgrims who waited until after "the rush".... I
can
imagine what the multitudes will be at year's end since the next Holy Year
is
so far away.)
Warm regards and a big hug,
Rosina